Village Hall4000 N. Olcott Avenue
Norridge, Illinois 60706-1199
Fax (708) 453-9335
Monday - Friday:9am to 5pm
Saturday: 9am to 12 noon
Terms and Conditions
Notices of foreclosures and confirmation orders should be sent to the:
Village of Norridge
Attn: Village Clerk
4000 N. Olcott Avenue
Norridge, IL 60706
THE STEVE NOSKO NORRIDGE HISTORIC COLLECTION ESTELLE SIEB COMMUNITY CENTER 7774 W. IRVING PK. RD. VETERANS & VILLAGE MUSEUM NORRIDGE, IL. 60706 (708) 453 0800 -FAX (708)453 9335
HISTORY OF NORRIDGE ILLINOIS
The name "Norridge" was suggested by resident Mrs. Link. "Nor" from Norwood Park Township and "Ridge" from the nearby suburb of Park Ridge, and joining them together to make the name Norridge. The Annexation Improvement Club changed its name to the Norridge Improvement Club and put together a group of candidates to form the first government of the new village. The first Village Board was elected in February 1949 and consisted of: Karl A. Kuchar, President (1949-51), Harold Dierkes, Village Clerk, (1949-74) and Trustees Joseph Kloth (1949-51), Robert Stark (1949-51), Henry Hinrichson (1949-51), John Kruk (1949-51) and Henry Koeber, Jr (1949-51). Joseph Sieb was appointed Building Inspector. In 1951, he was appointed to the Board to replace Karl A. Kuchar who resigned. Joe Sieb was appointed President of the Board on November 14, 1951.
He was repeatedly re elected and served continuously for 46 years and 222 days until his death on June 23, 1998. As of that date, he was the longest-serving official in the state of Illinois.
The first official Board meeting was held in February 1949 at the home of Village Clerk Harold Dierkes, at 4321 N. Ozanam Ave. This became the Village "office" for the first five years. The village public meetings were held in the Norwood Park Volunteer Fire house at 4348 N. Ottawa Ave. until the Village Hall was built in 1954, at 4020 N. Olcott Ave. It consisted of three small offices and an attached, large 2-truck garage. The Mayor's office, Village Clerk's office and the Police Department office were located in that building. The Norridge Police would hold prisoners in the jail cells at the River Grove Police Station. Police radio service was also provided by River Grove. Weather permitting, meetings were held in the garage; the trucks were moved out and folding chairs were set up.
Over time this building had several expansions which provided municipal offices, a council chamber for their public meetings and police facilities, including a 3 cell jail. The new, enlarged Village Hall was dedicated October 20, 1990, at the corner of Olcott Ave. and Irving Park Road. This property had been the location of an abandoned gas station that had blown up a few years earlier. The original Village Hall was converted into a police only facility.
This Village of "Norridge" is the only community in the world named Norridge. This research was done, in 2002, by Colin Muffet for a friend, John Linford, who is the owner of the pub "The Marlborough Arms" of Norwich, England. Norwich is pronounced "Noritch" in the local Norfolk dialect. This curiosity came about as a result of John Linford buying, for his pub, an old Norridge village sign at an auction in the Netherlands. John is a collector of unique artifacts to decorate his pub. His curiosity about the signs' origin led Colin to search the Internet and finally contacting the Norridge Village Hall on October 15, 2002.
This led to extensive exchange of communications, via the Internet, between Mr. Muffet and the Norridge Deputy Village Clerk, Robert O'Brien. Robert and his fiance, Laura Green, vacationed in England and visited John Linford. They brought a Norridge flag, old and new street signs. On April 2, 2003, John Linford, Colin Muffet and Niel Quinlan came to visit Norridge while attending an Antique Juke Box show in St. Charles, Illinois.
In 1954 Norridge doubled its size when it annexed the area between Montrose Ave. and Lawrence Ave. Norridge continued its growth by additional annexations north to Foster Ave., west to Dee Road and east to Sayer Ave. It now encompasses approximately two square miles. The population at the time of incorporation was 1,675. It reached 18,043 in 1971. At the last census in 2000 it was 14,582.
James Giles was born in England on July 27, 1863 and came to the United States in 1870. His mother brought her wedding present with them from England when they moved to Norwood Pk Township. It is called a "whatnot" (free-standing ornamental wooden corner shelves). It is now on display at the Village of Norridge Museum. The whatnot was contributed to the museum by James Giles' daughter, Izetta Giles Castiglia, in 1998. James Giles had served as Township Supervisor and President of the Board of Directors of the school, later called the Board of Education. The original school consisted of a one- room schoolhouse that was located on the northwest corner of Plank Road & Phillips road(Irving Pk & Ozanam Ave.). It was called the Leyden School (originally Dist.#4 and then later Dist #1) and was at this site from 1851. James Pennoyer was the Justice of the Peace who signed the original real estate transaction for this property. A three-room annex was built next to the one room school- house in 1927; it burned in 1951. Pictures of the schools are on display at the Norridge Museum.
A four-room, two-story brick schoolhouse on Oriole Ave. was built in 1928. This 5-acre property was bought from farmer John Sass. The school was named after James Giles. On April 24, 1949 a four-room addition was made to the building and a Time Capsule was placed in the cornerstone. On September 11, 1998, the time capsule was removed from the corner- stone and its contents displayed on the 50Th anniversary of this addition. A new Time Capsule, a one-cubic foot, sealed copper container, and a bronze plaque were supplied by the Norridge Historical Committee for this occasion.
Its contents were reinterred with additional artifacts and sealed in the wall above the cornerstone. Its location is now marked by the plaque located under the bleacher stands on the north inner wall of the school's Anderson Hall gymnasium. The original time capsule is on display at the Norridge Village Museum. A second school was built at 8151 W. Lawrence Ave. in 1958 and was named the John V. Leigh School. Mr. Leigh was the long time Superintendent of School Dist #80.
School District #79
Norridge students in the northwest portion of the village attend this school, along with students from Harwood Heights. The graduates of this school attend Maine Township High School, Dist 207. The school property was originally in the unincorporated area of Norwood Park Township but was hurriedly annexed to Norridge to prevent the City of Chicago from annexing the school property into Chicago.
Chicago had originally annexed the O'Hare airport property by "strip annexation" north from Lawrence Ave. on Dee Rd. to Higgins, west along Higgins Rd. to Mannheim Rd. This was later declared illegal. In 1959, to protect its authority over O'Hare, Chicago annexed the adjacent Forest Preserves south of Higgins and west of Cumberland Ave.
The Pennoyer School property was directly in the path of this annexation. In 1959 the night before this annexation went into effect, the Norridge Board of Trustees annexed the Pennoyer school property into Norridge.
Divine Savior Catholic School:
Ridgewood High School District #234:
Taxes were collected from the property owners for the purpose of educating the high school students of this area by paying tuition and sending them to neighboring schools such as Lane Tech, Schurz and Steinmetz in Chicago and Maine & Leyden Township suburban schools. In 1957, the State Legislature eliminated all Non High School Districts giving them the options: to join a neighboring school District, form their own district or do nothing and let the state determine their future. Martin Schroeder, who was Superintendent of this Non High School District, requested the State Legislature give this community 2 years to decide their own future.
The "Non-High School Problems Committee" was formed to study this matter and inform the public. The Committee was comprised of a representative from each of the various local political, school and parent organizations. A bronze plaque honoring the members of this committee is located in the hall of Ridgewood High School.
The community was divided with strong opinions for and against having a high school. A census was taken by the committee members to get the opinions of the citizens. They held several forums informing the public of the details of their study. A referendum was held on July 12, 1958, and the referendum for a high school was passed by 2 votes.
Thus High School District #234 was established and the school was named Ridgewood. Incorporating into the name, RIDGE from Norridge, WOOD from Harwood Heights and Norwood. In May 1968 Ridgewood would be recognized as one of the 10 best high schools in the United States by a survey of Ladies Home Journal magazine. This achievement was recognized and placed into the Congressional Record on May 13, 1968 by Hon. Roman Pucinski.
NORRIDGE PARK DISTRICT:
On June 1, 1957, the Park District bought 20.3 acres. Located: with Lawrence Ave. on the north, Wilson Ave. on the south, Overhill Ave. on the West and just west of the homes on Oriole Ave. on the east. This was done by condemnation, from the Shapiro family. This was not without acrimony. The Shapiro family had bought the property in the 1920s as an investment and planned to subdivide it for factories to maximize their return on their investment. They also had bought a 20-foot wide easement from the power company extending from Montrose on the south to Lawrence Ave. on the north between the back easements for Ottawa and Oriole Avenues. This easement was planned to be used to bring utilities from Norridge to their factory site.
Their request for annexation to Norridge for a factory site was rejected by the Norridge Board of Trustees. The Shapiros applied for annexation to Harwood Heights for a factory site and were accepted. This was challenged by the Park Board which had planned a condemnation of this land for public use as a park. The Park Board attended the next Harwood Heights Board meeting with Norridge's Attorney, Lou Ansel, and many Norridge citizens. Mr. Ansel explained that the zoning of the property was illegal because a legal notice concerning the purpose of this meeting was not properly posted . The Harwood Heights dropped the zoning but the land remains in jurisdiction of Harwood Heights.
Harwood Heights could not supply utilities for the park. The park annexed the parkway along Overhill Ave., from Wilson Ave. to Lawrence Ave., to Norridge so that Norridge could provide water and sewers for the park.
Efforts to have the park annexed to Norridge seemed to come to fruition in as Harwood Heights needed land for their Public Works Dept. A trade was agreed upon and Norridge dis-annexed a piece of land at the southeast corner of the parking lot behind Denny's Restaurant to Harwood Heights. Unfortunately, the Harwood Heights Board of Trustees reneged on this agreement and the park was not turned over to Norridge jurisdiction. Harwood Heights provides Police protection for the park.
NORRIDGE YOUTH ACTIVITIES:
The first Board of Directors:
Short list of the activities:
NYA annual Carnival:
The "Norridge Carnival Days" was held each year to raise funds. Each activity was responsible to raise funds for their individual venue and operated a booth at the carnival. The village officials also helped by operating a booth. Profit from the carnival was used to subsidize any activity that could not raise adequate funds.
National recognition of the NYA with a plaque from President John F. Kennedy Commendation to the Norridge Youth Activities Committee
"The Future Strength, Welfare and Progress of Our Nation will be Determined, in Large Measure by the Mental, Emotional, Spiritual, Social and Physical Fitness of its People." Those Dedicated Individuals who Freely Give of their Time and Energy in Guiding our Boys and Girls Do Indeed Perform a Valuable Service Not Only to Their Communities but to the Nation as Well. May I Through You Extend Greetings and Best Wishes To the Many Volunteer Workers of the NYA Committee. They Could Not be Engaged in a More Useful Task"
TEXT OF MESSAGE
Norridge Police Dept.
Volunteer Fire Dept. Founded 1941
Library, est 1972 1974
Norridge Historical Committee established 1996. Norridge Historical Society established November 2002
© 2017 Village of Norridge, Illinois. All Rights Reserved.
Web site design and development by Americaneagle.com, Inc.
The Village of Norridge Design Mark is the sole property of the Village of Norridge, and is protected under US Trademark Law. Unauthorized use of the trademark is prohibited